The Daniel Dilemma – Stand Firm & Love Well
Our worship series “The Daniel Dilemma” runs from April 28 through June 2 with the tag line “How to stand firm and love well in a culture of compromise.” In the series we will look at Daniel’s example and Jesus’ example of how we can stand up for God and be engaging and loving people in our culture. We can be people of influence who stand out because of the way we relate to others, serve those in need, and reflect the love, care, and kindness of our God. We can be people who stand firm and love well.
- April 28 “In the World But Not of It” We have the reality of living in this fallen world, but as followers of Christ we are not to live in the ways of this world that are not aligned with God. Through our witness we are to show God’s love and truth and have a positive influence on culture. God’s Word teaches us about living in this world but not being of this world.
- Scripture: Daniel 1:8-17; John 17:13-19
- May 5 “Identity Theft” Other people and cultural forces attempt to define us, bringing a constant tension between who God says we are and who the world says we should be. As God’s people this is why we need to have certainty of who God says we are and live out the purpose He made for us, which allows us to know our true identity and to keep anchored in God’s will. God’s Word teaches us about who we are in Christ.
- Scripture: Daniel 1:3-7; Romans 8:12-17
- May 12 “You Are What You Worship” Worship is our response to what we value most and we have to be careful not to be led astray and robbed of the purpose, peace, and joy God has created for us to experience. When we worship God and put God first in every area of our life, we can stand strong and love well, influencing the culture around us. God’s Word teaches us about who we are to worship.
- Scripture: Daniel 3:13-18; Matthew 4:1-10
- May 19 “Who’s the Boss?” We live in a culture that is social media obsessed and saturated with opinions and comments thinly veiled in pride. If we are to stand strong, love well, and make a positive difference in the lives of those around us, we must humble ourselves and focus on who God is and what God thinks as revealed in His Word. God’s Word teaches us about who is to be in charge of our life.
- Scripture: Daniel 4:1-3, 34-37; Matthew 16:21-25
- May 26 “Divided, Distracted, and Disturbed” The busyness of life often weighs us down and distracts us by the next urgent demand. However, when we recognize our limitations we are motivated to make the most of our life for God and relying upon God. The way to make a difference in the world is to make sure of the difference going on in us. God’s Word teaches us about where our focus should be and from where our strength comes.
- Scripture: Daniel 6:10-23; Matthew 11:28-30
- June 2 “What the World Needs Now” Daniel demonstrated what we must do in our interactions with others: connect before you correct. Sharing our faith is about relationship, being genuine, honest and caring. This is how we gain influence and point others to God. God’s Word teaches us about how we can reach the world in the need for Christ.
- Scripture: Daniel 6:1-5